The Directory of State and Federal Tax Documents

There are literally hundreds of different tax forms that U.S. residents, nonprofits, and businesses fill out each year during tax season. The following is a complete directory of federal tax forms, as well as links to every U.S. state’s department of revenue or comptroller’s office. These websites provide direct links to  all necessary tax forms, along with step-by-step procedural guides that make filling out forms much easier.

Federal Tax Forms

The following is a list of the most frequently filed tax forms for exempt organizations. A full list of forms for exempt organizations can be found on the Internal Revenue Service’s (IRS) webpage.

  • Form 1023: Application for Recognition of Exemption under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code
  • Form 1024: Form for Application for Recognition of Exemption under Section 501(a)
  • Form 1028: Application for Recognition of Exemption under section 521 of the Internal Revenue Code
  • Form 1120-POL: U.S. Income Tax Return for Certain Political Organizations
  • Form 1128: Application to Adopt, Change or Retain a Tax Year
  • Form 2848: Power of Attorney and Declaration of Representative
  • Form 4506-A: Request for Public Inspection or Copy of Exempt or Political IRS Form
  • Form 4720: Return of Certain Excise Taxes on Charities and Other Persons under Chapter 41 and 42 of the Internal Revenue Code.
  • Form 7004: Application for Automatic Extension of Time to File Corporation Income Tax Return
  • Form 8283: Noncash Charitable Contributions
  • Form 8300: Report of Cash Payments Over $10,000 Received in a Trade or Business
  • Form 8868: Application for Extension of time to File an Exempt Organization Return
  • Form 8886: Reportable Transaction Disclosure Statement
  • Form 8886-T: Disclosure by Tax Exempt Entity Regarding Prohibited Tax Shelter Transaction

International Business

The IRS requires that international businesses submit tax forms specific to international affairs. Their website includes an extensive section on taxes for international businesses, information on the Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FACTA), and Taxpayer Identification Numbers (TIN).

Philanthropy and Taxes

Although the IRS does not provide a specific section on tax forms related to philanthropic donations, it does include information on taxes for charities and other non-profits, as well as tax information applicable to private foundations. For individuals who donate funds to charities and other organizations, the Charity Navigator and American Institute of Philanthropy also offer helpful tips and useful information.

IRS’s Tax Topic 352

Three forms are used for individual federal return tax forms. They include:

  • Form 1040EZ: Income Tax Return for Single and Joint Filers with No Dependents

More information on these forms can be found on the IRS’s home page.

U.S Tax Solutions for Foreign Nationals

The main tax form for foreign nationals is Form 1040NR, which all U.S. non-residents must fill out and submit to the IRS. Several websites offer guidelines and information on Form 1040NR, including In order to find more information on filing tax returns as a foreign national, you can also contact your local IRS office or Taxpayer Assistance Centers (TAC). TAC provides personal, face-to-face tax help year round, with the exception of federal holidays.

States Taxes

The following is a list of links that provide information on individual state taxes, as forms and regulations differ state to state:

Additional Resources

There are also other tax forms and resources available for groups that include senior citizens and self-employed taxpayers:

  • For seniors and retirees, the IRS provides tips on preparing taxes, a “Frequently Asked Questions” section and information on Social Security benefits.
  • Military members also prepare special tax forms. The IRS provides extensive information on rules that apply to the military and their family members, including a section on tax credits.